Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Multiplication Facts Fun and Games

As a 5th grade math teacher, I always hope that my students come to me knowing all their multiplication facts by memory.  Today, the students played a game that made it SUPER easy for me to tell who needs that extra help in getting their facts down.  As a bonus, the students loved it!


All they needed to play this game was a pencil and two paper clips (to use as the spinners) and pieces of construction paper cut into squares.  I cut these out years ago and have kept them to use when playing games like this and BINGO.


Students could play in pairs or in threes, as long as each student had their own color of game squares to mark their spot on the game board.


All the students had a blast playing it, especially my competitive students!  I told them that they could "bump" off another student's game piece if they spun the factors that gave them the same product.  This just added to the excitement!


My kids were so mad when I said it was time to put up the game.  Luckily, I keep it in a bin of games that they can play when they finish their work.  Anything that gets them excited about practicing those all-important multiplication facts makes me happy!

Here is the link to this free game if you would like to use it in your classroom.  It's three of the same game boards and spinners, just in different colors...because multiple colors just makes everything better!  :)


Hope everyone is having a great start to their school year!


No comments:

Post a Comment