Monday, November 17, 2014

Converting Between Mixed Numbers and Improper Fractions

Before we get started with the Math, let's start with the first day of College Week......


Can you tell which University I love?  That's right.....Gig 'Em Aggies!  My students presented information about Texas A&M on the announcements, even playing the school song (which I happen to have on a music box in my classroom) and yelling "Whoop!"  They did A&M proud!

Today we reviewed how to convert between Mixed Numbers and Improper Fractions.  Let me start by saying, until this year, this was a 5th grade TEK (student learning expectation.)  This year, new TEKs account for 54% of our curriculum.  So, it is assumed that the students have learned this concept in 4th grade (even though it wasn't one of their student expectations last year.)  That being said, we went over it again!

After we took some notes and did examples in our ISN, the students worked in partners on a number tile activity.  They had to find the correct number tile to complete the conversion statement.




The students did really great on this activity.  Then as a whole group, we did a learning assessment on ThatQuiz.org that I put on the projector.  If you haven't checked ThatQuiz.org, you need to!  I absolutely love it!  (I'm working on a blog about it to be posted soon.)

What fun activities do you use to teach your students how to convert between Mixed Numbers and Improper Fractions?

Happy Monday!


No comments:

Post a Comment