Friday, December 5, 2014

Five for Friday: It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!!!

It’s Friday, and you know what that means….it’s time to link up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday!  Unfortunately, Five for Friday is on vacation until January 2nd (*tear), but I'm staying with my routine!

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

Christmas in the Classroom

I bought a Christmas tree, finally, for my classroom this year.  It is lime green, and I bought hot pink, purple, and blue ornaments.  So it matches my room!






The kids love it and even argued over who is going to get to turn on the Christmas lights in the morning and who got to turn them off.  Needless to say, we’re on a tree light schedule now! And those gifts are what the students are bringing for our class Angel Tree child!

Christmas at Home

Let me tell you, getting this tree together was a beating!  It’s not a new-fangled pre-lit tree, and every branch has to be added one-by-one.  But I love the way it looks when I’m done, so I haven’t even thought about getting a new one!  This year I bought new lights to put on the tree, and that didn’t work so well.  Six fuses were blown before we figured out how to fix the problem!  But it’s so pretty (and bright!) now!



Fractions are Merry and Bright

We’ve been working on adding and subtracting fractions with unlike denominators in the classroom.  This is a new student expectation this year, and, I have to admit, I was stressing about it!  However, my students are blowing it out of the water!  So proud!  I printed off a Christmas light outline from Phenomenal First Grade on Astrobright paper.  My students worked in partners on a problem assigned to them (from our textbook that I didn’t use!) and put their work on the lights.  I think it turned out pretty cute!







Christmas on Main

I can’t wait for tomorrow!  It’s our town’s annual Christmas on Main, and it’s always so much fun.  Last year, it was cancelled because of ice, so I’ve been waiting two whole years for it!!!  Here’s a picture of my dogs and me at the last Christmas on Main!  And, yes, it was in December even though I’m wearing short sleeves…..that’s Texas weather for you!!!




Future Christmas Activities in the Classroom

Next week, we will be continuing to add and subtract fractions.  My students will be helping Mrs. Claus get ready for her party with these fun Math Centers!


  
I already gave my students a sneak peek at this activity, and they are excited to help her find what those tricky elves hid from her! J


Have a fabulous weekend! 


No comments:

Post a Comment